Community Giving through the Chelsea Groton Foundation
Chelsea Groton Foundation, Inc. was established in 1998 as a Section 501(c) (3) organization. Initially endowed with a $2 million dollar donation from Chelsea Groton Bank, the Foundation has awarded over $5 million in grants to non-profit organizations in the Bank’s Connecticut and Rhode Island market areas.
The Foundation's mission is to support the ongoing commitment in partnership for the long-term growth of our community.
In 2020, Chelsea Groton Bank and its Foundation provided more than $1,000,000 to non-profit organizations in our communities. The Foundation swiftly responded to support emergency relief efforts as well as needs across all giving categories in the wake of the pandemic, making the unprecedented decision to double the usual amount of total funds granted in a calendar year.
Eligible organizations are invited to submit a grant application to the Foundation.
Guidelines for Grant Applicants
- Non-profit organizations exempt from federal income tax per Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, or other acceptable 501(c) status.
- A governmental unit referred to in Section 170(c)(1) of the IRS Code.
- Special consideration will be given to programs benefiting communities that are served by Chelsea Groton Bank.
- Program Areas we fund: Animal Welfare, Arts and Culture, Economic Development, Education, Environment, Health and Human Services, Housing and Youth Activities
- Grant applications are accepted year-round. Those received by the third Friday in April will be reviewed in May. Those received by the third Friday in September will be reviewed in October.
- Organizations are permitted to receive one grant per calendar year. If the organization was denied funding, they may reapply in the same calendar year.
- All applications must be submitted online.
- All submitted materials become the property of Chelsea Groton Foundation, Inc., and will be held in strict confidence.
- All grant recipients will be required to submit a post-grant report no more than six months after the grant award.
- If you need grant writing assistance, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To help you submit a comprehensive package, we’ve compiled a list of frequently asked questions, or you can check out the tutorial on how to apply below.
Learn more about the Fall 2021 Grant Award Recipients.
Chelsea Groton Foundation Scholarships
Chelsea Groton awards scholarships each year to local high school seniors. Winning students have excelled academically, exhibited strong leadership skills and exemplified community service through their volunteer efforts. Since 2007, Chelsea Groton has supported over 200 students as they have pursued degrees in higher education.
How to Apply for a Scholarship
Students who live in the communities served by Chelsea Groton Bank should contact their school guidance department for an application and return the application to the guidance department. All guidance departments are required to review all applications before submitting to Chelsea Groton. Guidance counselors are encouraged to contact Miria Gray at email@example.com with any questions. Completed applications are to be returned to the school guidance office at a date of the school's choosing.
Acts of Kindness
In 2014, Chelsea Groton launched the Acts of Kindness initiative to commemorate the Bank's 160th anniversary. A $160 donation was made by the Bank on behalf of each employee to a cause or non-profit agency of each employee’s choice. Each year since, Chelsea Groton has given $100 on behalf of each employee to the worthy cause of each employee’s choice.